Friday 17 June 2011

La Gran Vista Day 1-3

Things have settled into a routine here at the farm, wake up at 6.45, breakfast at 7, start work at 8, lunch at 12.30, finish work at 3/4, dinner at 6/7.

The place itself is something about of Robin Crusoe - overlooking the lush, vibrant Costa Rican mountains and the house is all made of wood (like a treehouse). If the Hairy Lemon was paradise in the river, this has to be paradise in the mountains. When I´m not working, I usually spend most of my time reading - thank God for that Kindle.

As for the work itself, the things I have done so far: milked cows, planted grass (the legit kind), picked out worms for fertisler and horse riding. Speaking of milking cows, who was the first dude who thought ´You know what, I´m going to rub that animals nipple and drink whatever comes out´? I´ll upload a POV Horse Video (standard) when I get the chance.

The major challenge has been the fact that Yo no hablor español. Although I am picking up un puco, there have been far too many moments where I´ve responded with a feeble ´¿Que? to a local lathering me with their fluent Spanish.

Other random moments:

Came back to my bed to find a random cat maxin´ out, actin´all cool in my bed. I told him to allow it.

Stepped on a spider half the size of my foot... barefoot. Took 5 men to remove the spider from the room.

While sieving soil for worms, I found a dull black spongy stone. It was only when I broke it in half and smelt it that I realised it was dried horse manure. Standard procedure.

4 comments:

  1. Sound and looks (from a quick google) a great place.

    Keep the updates coming when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man. Just did a cursory read of Island and now onto Illium. Shoulda brought more books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. On your third day are you good at Spanish? Most people come to Britain learn half English on their first day, Benefit please..
    You need to put that Kindle aside, on your spare time go to local and learn Shambbha(dancing?) or better still put that hallelujah music on and teach them Dandiya. Just enjoy, enjoy and well Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Read Hyperion, not Illium

    ReplyDelete