Friday 17 June 2011

San Jose Day 1

I arrived in San Jose on Tuesday at 11am local time. Immediately I was lulled into a false sense of security about how easy communication with the natives would be - as I was greeted by competent English speakers. I jumped onto a taxi to San Jose, and thats when the challenge became evident. I was really thirsty so I stopped at some cheap chicken place and tried to order water (agua) - I didn´t know the spanish word and the lady had no idea what I was saying. I ended up getting a can of some sugary liquid.

I then jumped on a bus to San Isidro, near which the farm is located. I ate food at a local Soda, where I think I made an important discovery. If you´re ever in a new country and you want the best of the country´s food, go to where the truckers eat food. In India its the dhabas, in the US roadside diners, in the UK roadside taverns/pubs and in Costa Rica Sodas. The food is always cheap and the sizes of the meal are always plentiful.

I managed to somehow blunder my way to La Gran Vista, the farm where I am currently staying. Dinner was provided that night. For anyone who went to Uganda with me, remember that meal we got cooked by the local women? Every meal here is like that. For anyone who didn´t come, the meals are simple, incredibly tasty and filling.

At La Gran Vista, I met some Ameri-Can dudes who explained the many nuances of American Society. They also shared my enthusiasm for Aziz Ansari and Dave Chapelle (if you haven{t seen their stand ups, youtube them ASAP).

Shortly after the meal I was knackered and fell straight asleep. Standard.

No comments:

Post a Comment